Can I change my name by deed poll if I am a British national living abroad?

Posted by legaldeedpolls

Yes, British nationals (ex pats) who live abroad, can change their name by deed poll, but they should be mindful of any knock on effect if they proceed to change their name in a passport.

Your passport, airline tickets hotel reservations etc must always be in the same name — otherwise you may be denied entry into the country you are visiting or be refused boarding by an airline. Which would be a huge mistake if all you want to do is change your name by deed poll. However if you follow some simple rules, you will find that it is not as hard as you might think.

Applying for your new passport while living abroad

Passport applications while you are living abroad are‌‌‌‌‌ ‌‌‌‌handled‌‌‌‌ ‌‌‌‌by‌‌‌‌ ‌‌‌‌7‌‌‌‌‌ ‌‌‌regional‌‌‌ ‌‌‌processing‌‌‌ ‌‌‌centres‌‌ ‌‌around‌‌ ‌the world as part of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and sometimes also by the British Embassy /High Commission in the country where you reside. The Foreign And Commonwealth Office will accept a change of name deed as evidence of a change of name, however they do have some specific advise which we have taken from their website to assist you. You can now also order your passport online which will be much quicker and easier than attending a regional center or relying on their postal service.

Your change of name deed should be witnessed by a local lawyer or notary
You should also provide documentary evidence that your name has been changed for all purposes. You should provide at least 3 other official documents that show your new names — such as a driving licence, bank statement or identity card
You could possibly be asked to provide further documents or to attend an interview to verify your identity before the application can be processed
You can check what special restrictions there are in the country where you live, by looking on the Foreign And Commonwealth Office website , or by getting in touch with your local British Embassy/Commission