Who to notify note list

Who to Advise After Changing your Name

Posted by legaldeedpolls

What do you need to do after your deed poll has been approved

Once your official deed poll is complete you will then be able to start using your new name.

You need to ensure that you notify everyone of your name change. The most common organisations are as follows:

  • HM Passport Office (to apply for a new passport)
  • Driver & Vehicle Licensing Authority (driving licence and vehicle registration document)
  • Bank
  • Building Society
  • Credit card companies
  • Employer
  • HM Land Registry (if you own land or property)
  • HM Revenue & Customs (for tax and National Insurance records)
  • Department for Work & Pensions
  • Private Pension company
  • Finance companies – sometimes not
  • Insurance company (ie, medical, life, endowments)
  • School/college/university
  • Private Health Provider
  • Optician
  • Doctor
  • Dentist
  • Solicitor
  • Motoring organisations
  • Utility companies (water, gas, electricity)
  • Internet Service Provider
  • Telephone Company – mobile telephone
  • Telephone Company – fixed-line telephone
  • Local authority (for council tax and electoral register)
  • TV Licensing
  • Organisations/companies in which you have investments
  • Insurance company (ie, motor, buildings, contents)
  • Professional bodies
  • Clubs and societies

How do I notify them of my name change?

Many organisations will require seeing your official deed poll in order to change your name on their official documentation.

Unfortunately a photocopy will not suffice for official evidence. All major record holders such as government departments including the DVLA and passport office and many financial institutions such as your bank or building society will need to see your original Deed Poll or a certified copy. They will not accept photocopies of Deed Polls.

Additional certified copies are only £2 each; you can select how many you need on our order page. We do find that on average most customers need at least 10 certified copies.

Changing your name with the passport agency

If you change your name by deed poll you must apply to the passport agency for a new passport in your new name.

Similarly if you have never had a passport before, but your name is different to the one on your birth certificate, we recommend you document this in a deed poll.

You cannot travel abroad on your passport in your old name once you have signed your deed poll.

If you change your children’s names, you must also send the original deed polls to them.

The passport agency will return your deed poll to you.

You can obtain the passport application form from the majority of post offices.

As with all passport applications, make sure you leave plenty of time before you travel to apply for your passport as a trip to the passport agency can be long, boring and expensive.

Changing your name with the DVLA

Changing you name on your Driving licence and vehicle logbook is very straightforward. You need to obtain the following forms from the post office

* Driving licence – form D1 for cars, vans and motorbikes, Form D2 for buses and lorries
* Vehicle registration document (log book) – Form V5

Complete the forms indicating you wish to change your name and send the original or certified copy of your deed poll with the form.

Start a fresh with your new name today  

Apply online now and receive your documents within 1-2 working days! Simply fill out our online application form to start the process.

Have any questions you need answering?

Contact us today on- [email protected] or use the live chat feature at the bottom right of the screen.