Deed polls- FAQ’s

Posted by legaldeedpolls

Are you looking to change your name via deed poll but have a few questions? Look no further, we have comprised a list of our most asked questions just for you.

What sort of name can you choose?

You can pretty much choose any name you want so long as it is not intended to defraud anyone or avoid justice.

Can you change your birth certificate?

Corrections to a birth certificate can only be made when the information is wrong (a mistake was made when recording a parent’s occupation).

You can’t apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after you’ve registered your child’s birth (eg you change your name after getting married again).

However, you can apply to re-register the birth if the natural parents get married at a later date.

Where do you have to register a deed poll?

You don’t have to register a deed poll anywhere as there is no central deed poll office as such.

Deed Polls are not registered anywhere unless you want it lodged for safe keeping, in the Enrolment Books of the Supreme Court of Judicature, which is located within the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand, London. After about five years, the court’s enrolled Deed Poll records are transferred to the National Archives, which is situated in Kew, Surrey. The National Archives contain Deed Poll records going back to 1851.

Is there an official deed poll office in the UK?

This is a common misconception. There is no government department or entity that provides deed polls. All the providers of deed poll documents in the UK, are either lawyers or private providers like ourselves.

Will changing my name affect my credit rating?

If you have changed your surname, contact a credit reference agency such as Experian to check that an ‘alias’ has been linked to your credit report.

This usually happens automatically via information sent to the agency by lenders but, in the event it doesn’t and your new name is not linked to your old one, your credit score could suffer. If it hasn’t happened automatically, then you will need to add your new name to your report, which can be done free of charge.

Who can act as a witness when I execute (sign) my deed poll?

Your witness needs to be someone independent of your family, who doesn’t live at the same address. We recommend you use friends or work colleagues who must be willing to provide their residential address.

Check out our blog post on witnesses for more information.

What other costs will there be to change my name?

The authorities where you change your name such as the passport office and DVLA will require you to submit your deed with an official application form and fees may be charged for doing so. You will need to check with the individual authority as to any fee charges.

Still have an un-answered question?

If you question did not feature above then please contact us today, one of our advisors will be able to help you immediately.

You can contact us via email: [email protected] or live chat on our main deed poll website.